Monday 4 July 2011

How a Brit should tell jokes in the US of A

Making people laugh has a good effect on the Joke-teller. It validates their existence, and affirms that that people might think they are entertaining (ergo worth getting to know).

Arriving in the States it was a very real concern that I didn’t exist (if you have no mates to worry about you – are you really there?) and that I might not be worth getting to know. I needed to prove that I did both exist, and that I might be worth getting to know. So I tried telling a few stories.  Just little anecdotes intended to raise a smile. 

One of the first anecdotes I shared was with Courtney (who had very bouncy blonde hair) and Whitney (who had very lovely straight teeth). It started well: they nodded along and punctuated the story with eyebrow flashes in all the right places. But as the story concluded, I slipped in a swearword or two.

Whitney’s teeth disappeared behind tight lips and Coutney’s hair fell flat. So did my hopes of confirming that I did exist and that I might just be worth getting to know. 

But I needn’t have worried -  last night I found the formula! To raise a laugh (and prove you exist / that you might be worth getting to know) all you need in America are a few choice words, a British accent and some patience. At a party in the small hours of this morning I spent upwards of 45minutes repeating the phrases “I live in a flat,” “may I have some water?” and “where is your loo?”

I don’t think I have ever felt funnier. 

6 comments:

  1. What`s wrong with "may I have some water" for american`s ear? I mean I get that "flat"="apartment" and "loo" = "toilet", but I don`t get about water :) By the way I`m russian so perhaps that`s why I don`t get it :))))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is all in the accentuation on the letter 't'...

    UK pronunciation: 'warTer'
    US pronunciation: 'wardder'

    (But I agree with you - I'm also not sure why 'warter' is so hard to understand for the American ear!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. American ears hear:

    US: wau-ter
    UK: wah-tuh

    Not that funny, but if you've been drinking, it's fun. I much prefer to laugh at midwesterners referring to bags and baigs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rule for life no1: drinking makes most things funnier.

    Rule for life no2: drinking especially makes midwesterners funnier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Picture the scene - at a nightclub/bar establishment in Richmond, Virgina, 2006: Laura, Candice & Kim.

    Candice, to the bar tender,"Can I have some water?"

    No response.

    Candice, "Can I have some wadder please?"

    No response.

    Candice (who is somewhat parched and tipsy), "H20, H20. Can you give me some H20."

    Candice was given a glass of water.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still remember how pleased I was in high school when my friend's (British) mom was in charge of strawberries at the ice cream sunday bar on Senior Safe Night. How she said strawberry was SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete